Following up to my article “EasyPAL, Linux, Raspberry Pi” where I tried to run RXAMADRM on the Raspberry Pi:
I’ve removed the waterfall code and a lot of the code that output JSON-style data for the TCL interface. CPU usage listening to noise is a steady 60%, so not notably better than before.
It’s interesting to note that the graphics didn’t consume that much CPU power. X has been around for some time, and we were running graphically intense applications on 486 PCs back in the mid 90s, so this shouldn’t be surprising.
The application may still be performing more calculations than it needs to demodulate, as I have not removed the work that supports the debugging output. I have removed the calculation of the power spectrum for the waterfall display.
I have not yet tested receive on the current code base.